CONCEPT OF “GOING DEEPER,” 13.05.20
STUDY CORNER has been going down this road recently; it is timely now for a full-scale REVIEW of what “GOING DEEPER” is all about. Progressing from our recent STUDY TOPIC of “SEEKING THE LORD,” followed by “SEEK ‘N’ SURRENDER,” a REVIEW fits well since “GOING DEEPER” is not only a natural progression therefrom, but also intrinsic to, that very act (i.e., seeking) of which the ultimate goal is surrender. Secondly, it is useful to identify the specifics that will direct a pathway to assist in that process.
What does “GOING DEEPER” entail?
- Identifying themes. A THEME consists of those recurring subjects, thoughts, ideas, or content making up any given body of text (or spoken word):(https://www.google.com/search?q=theme+definition&oq=theme&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l7.4723j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)
- Identifying principles: A belief system, or moral rule which undergirds a particular form of thought, opinion, or ruling (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/principle).
- INTEGRATION of that theme &/or principle into personal/life situations, thus:
- CONNECTING THE DOTS from those passages/body of Scripture/text with a view of practical life application – i.e., now you can apply them to your own life.
SIMPLE FIRST STEPS INCLUDE:
- First read those passages, or body of text/Scriptures.
- Then study – yes, I said read . .. . then study. There is a difference. When you only “read,” the words are often just that – “words;” words that are rarely retained, with little or no meaning. When you “study” you first read, then re-read, probing, in order to gain fuller understanding, make meaning, make connections. During this read/re-read, identify themes/principles.
- Now you are ready to MEDITATE on those words, thoughts, ideas, concepts, as you read them prayerfully, yielding to the leading of the Holy Spirit.
- As the Holy Spirit brings new revelations, which come alive to you, & you LISTEN for the voice of the SPIRIT, He will assist you to connect the dots from themes and principles their application in your very own life, your walk in the Spirit.
1 Hear my prayer, O Lord,
Give ear to my supplications!
In Your faithfulness answer me,
And in Your righteousness.
2 Do not enter into judgment with Your servant,
For in Your sight no one living is righteous.
3 For the enemy has persecuted my soul;
He has crushed my life to the ground;
He has made me dwell in darkness,
Like those who have long been dead.
4 Therefore my spirit is overwhelmed within me;
My heart within me is distressed.
5 I remember the days of old;
I meditate on all Your works;
I muse on the work of Your hands.
6 I spread out my hands to You;
My soul longs for You like a thirsty land.
7 Answer me speedily, O Lord;
My spirit fails!
Do not hide Your face from me,
Lest I be like those who go down into the pit.
8 Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning,
For in You do I trust;
Cause me to know the way in which I should walk,
For I lift up my soul to You.
9 Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies;
In You I take shelter.
10 Teach me to do Your will,
For You are my God;
Your Spirit is good.
Lead me in the land of uprightness.
11 Revive me, O Lord, for Your name’s sake!
For Your righteousness’ sake bring my soul out of trouble.
12 In Your mercy cut off my enemies,
And destroy all those who afflict my soul;
For I am Your servant.
PSALM 143, NKJV
© 2020 by Verna Crowther. All rights reserved.
MEDITATE ON THESE PASSAGES & GO TO STUDY GUIDE @