MENTORING CORNER/STUDY GUIDE, “VANITY FAIR” 09.01.20
- In what ways/instances can you see yourself in any of the examples/descriptions in the STUDY?
- What individuals in your life have ever accused you of being holier-than-thou, noble, vane, self-righteous, or other similar term?
- Think of occasions where you justify emotions and desires,such as jealousy, envy, immoral desires, self-pity, rage, vengeance . … .. Document these to the best of your memory.
- Now retrace the outcomes in those scenarios, & identify what action would have been more productive. What does this tell you about the value/productivity of such carnal emotions, and/or desires?
- In what areas of your life are you most vulnerable to assuming a sense of false humility?
- In what situations, and with which individuals, do you experience control needs most intensely?
- In what situations are you most likely to taking responsibility for the actions of others?
- With which specific individuals in your life do you experience the most acute control needs?
- In what areas of life are you most likely to experience vane thoughts?
- In what instances/situations do you see yourself feeling self-righteous, superior, noble, etc.?
- Identify those times when/where you have been “grasping for the wind” (Eccl.1:14).
- Identify as many occasions as you possibly can where, upon reflection, you are now convicted that these things you did that you thought were so noble at the time, were self-driven, and not called for by God at all.
- What past hurts, dysfunctional family patterns can you identify that would account for any/all above identified tendencies?
- Who do you most identify with (Lk.18:10-14) – the pharisee or the tax collector?
- Who do you most identify with: (a) Mary, in John 11:2, worshipping at Jesus/Yeshua’s feet? Or (b) Martha, Lk.10:39-42, distracted & anxious about everything?
- Find your potential consequences/losses &/or rewards in 1 Cor.3:10-13.
- What do you need to do differently now?
© 2020 by Verna Crowther. All rights reserved.
PLEASE VISIT PRAYER CORNER TOMORROW, 10.01.20, for PRAYER GUIDE on TOPIC.