MENTORING CORNER/STUDY GUIDE, 1 JOHN STUDY, PART 2, 10.09.19
- As initially stated, 1 John 2:5,6 have been repeated intentionally. Why? Because it would be such a loss to skip over two most important principle truths encased therein. Identify each of these primary truths.
- V. 6 particularly spells out the main theme of this message. What is it?
- What does John mean in verse 7 & 8 when he says this is not a new commandment? What is he referring to? (Lev.19:18;Matt.22; Mark 12).
- In verses 8 – 11 what two things are referred to repeatedly?
- What is does darkness depict &/or include?
- What does Light represent/include?
- Why does he say darkness is passing away, and the true light is already shining? (v.8) Clue:(a) If it’s “true in Him and in you” what does that tell you? (b) to flesh out meaning & put in context, read the verse immediately preceding & following.
- Take verse 9 & 10 deeper. If you have fleshed out your understanding of the concept of darkness/light, identify the problem of saying you are in the light, while being able to hate.
- Connect the dots between abiding in the light, (v.10) and having no cause for stumbling.
- “he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes” (v.11). What does this indicate about: (a) what is included in darkness? (b) What it means to walk in darkness? © If “darkness has blinded his eyes,” who (Holy Spirit, or Satan/Evil Spirit) is in charge?
- In v.12-14, John is emphasizing, & singling out his audience. Why do you think he’s doing this?
- What are the differences between the three categories?
- This whole section has a lot to do with light/dark, loving/hating . .. . What does this say about what is included in showing our love to God?
- A close relationship with God requires us to walk in _____________, which leads to ________________ others as God _____________ us.
- Count the number of times that the little word “in” appears (there are at least a dozen). (a) what is the significance of this word usage? (b) now go back & identify the ones that connect you with the Lord © What does this say about who you are?
© 2019 by Verna Crowther. All rights reserved.
Get in Touch
Please contact me with any questions you may have
Copyright (c) 2017 by Verna Crowther. All rights reserved.