MENTORING CORNER/STUDY GUIDE, I JOHN 3:1-12, 12.09.19
- How do you know God loves you? How does He refer to you? (v.1,2)
- Find where it says that because God loves you, you don’t have any responsibilities?
- Connects the dots from God’s love for you to expectations He has for how you should be. Identify at least 5 expectations mentioned, in response to His love for you. (ref.v.3,6,7,9-11). (Link up v.3 w/Matt.5:8).
- We know that “He was manifested to take away our sins,” (v.5), yet we still sin. Identify your responsibility in sinning/not sinning (v.6).
- What is the relationship between sin & lawlessness? (v.4)
- What can you do to prevent sin/lawlessness in your life? (v.6,7,9)
- What are the 2 key determinant factors which will reveal whether you are following God or the Devil? (v.10)
- What about your life shows that you are abiding in Him?
- Identify from v.11 the message undergirding all other messages about love. This is the expectation which derives from the original Levitical rules which indicates that God’s priorities have not changed.
- What is the ultimate hope, the ultimate expression of how you will be at the end of time? (v.2,3,6,7,9) you should be able to identify 4 things here.
- We find our identity IN HIM. In order to identify with HIM, however, we are called to love others as He loves us. When we submit & surrender to that, the final outcome will be to become like HIM in every way (v.2)
NOTE: SPECIAL REF.
*F.n. 3:9, Commentary p.1966, King James, Nelson Study Bible, 1988.
“John is not teaching sinless perfection (see 1:8,10; 2:2). He speaks here of habitual practice of known sinful acts. The true believer’s actions will conform to the character of his true father either God or Satan. The person born of God will reflect this in his behaviour.”
© 2019 by Verna Crowther. All rights reserved.
REFER BACK TO STUDY PAGE for QUOTED PASSAGES @