MENTORING CORNER/STUDY GUIDE for “SAME GOD, SAME PRINCIPLES – PART II,” 01.08.19
- GO BACK & REVIEW THE “PARALLELS” you (should have) discovered in PART I, & add to them.
- Now CONNECT THE DOTS from those parallels to what this means for your life/your walk.
- Now CONNECT THE DOTS from the passages in 2 Kings 17 to the NT passages quoted here. (a) Why was God displeased with the Israelites in 2 Kings 17? (b) What was Jesus/Yeshua identifying as the prerequisite/requirement for maintaining good standing with Him/with the Father? © Has something changed from OT > NT?
- How can one claim to love “God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength” while being disobedient, while honouring foreign gods, committing idolatry/adultery against the Lord?
- In what areas can you draw parallels with: (a) the Church (b) your self/own life? I.e., what social practices does the church endorse/what social practices do you participate in which would be displeasing to God; which would be idolatrous? How does this parallel 2 Kings 17:7,8?
- What secret sins (2 Kings 17:9-12) do you engage in that you would not want anyone to know about? Do you think God doesn’t see you? (pornography, masturbation, coveting, lusting, etc.) Do you think God feels any differently towards these things than He did in OT times?
- Some teachings would indicate that God’s Grace covers these sins. In https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUgHCAneqak&t=1434s – Ask Dr. Brown addresses this matter in a most effective manner. Watch this video & understand that God has not altered His standards to align with our modern social norms.
- Draw a parallel between what Jesus/Yeshua says: “When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love,” (John 15:10) & Dr. Brown’s teachings re the hyper-grace doctrine.
- Jesus/Yeshua says: “You are my friends IF you DO what I command.” How does this fit with condoning idol worship in the church/believing community? What practices &/or teachings have you observed or participated in, which are incongruent with the above statement?
- What idols have you made excuses for in your own life? (2 Kings 17:15,16) What commands have you defied?
- Identify the Asherah poles in our society/in your own life (2 Kings 17:16). (If you don’t think we have “asherah poles” what do you think all the sexual idols in this society are? In the movies? On TV?)
- Connect the dots from “They even sacrificed their own sons and daughters in the fire,” (2 Kings 17:17) to the socially acceptable practice of abortion. Do you think God is any less pleased now than He was then? Many believers are finding ways to justify abortion, by God’s Grace. (God’s GRACE does not condone killing; by God’s GRACE, we can be forgiven upon repentance, but NOT BY DEFAULT/AUTO SETTING, as on computer).
- Connect the dots from “They consulted fortune-tellers and practiced sorcery and sold themselves to evil, arousing the Lord’s anger,” (2 Kings 17:17) with the daily consultation of Horoscopes, visiting Psychics, etc. Do you think God is any less pleased than He was then? On what basis could that be said?
- “Because the Lord was very angry with Israel, he swept them away from his presence” (2 Kings 17:18). How well does this connect with “because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth” (Rev.3:16)?
We serve the same God, Who functions on the basis of the same principles. God the Father did not change from OT > NT. Jesus/Yeshua’s sacrifice made it so the immediacy of God’s justice/judgment could be deferred to the end of the age, to the Great Day of the Lord/the Day of Judgment. We do not need to be stoned to death to bring immediate justice to our wrongs; but that does not mean there are no consequences. We need not bring blood sacrifices to the altar, but that does not mean that we do not need to keep His commandments; we need to repent when we sin. The commandment to obey His commandments did not change, from OT to NT. “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever” (Heb.13:8). Jesus/Yeshua said “When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love,” (John 15:10). If Jesus/Yeshua obeyed His Father’s commandments, we surely must do likewise.
© 2019 by Verna Crowther. All rights reserved.
REFER BACK TO SCRIPTURES ON STUDY TOPIC PAGE, @
Get in Touch
Please contact me with any questions you may have
Copyright (c) 2017 by Verna Crowther. All rights reserved.