MENTORING CORNER/STUDY GUIDE ASSIST for “GOING DEEPER” 13.09.16
- The over-all theme identified throughout pertains to sin/lust/carnal flesh, and
- the principle of putting the flesh to death.
- There is symbolic meaning from Matt.5:29,30, and Mk.9:45,47, in that, rather than the promotion of self-mutilation, the interpretation would indicate:
(a) the putting to death of self/the flesh, not the limb or organ or whatever body part, is involved, for it is not the body part in or of itself that is evil. It is the human will and lustful desire that causes the body part to be initialized for evil purposes. Therefore, it is not the hand, eye, or foot that needs to be amputated, but rather the fleshly lust, the desire promoting the action of the limb/body part; and the human will that chooses to indulge as it pleases.
(b) we must “bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,” in order to execute those lustful fantasies & desires.
© we must deny self daily, take up our Cross & follow HIM (Lk.9:23) – this is SURRENDER – daily surrender which must necessarily preclude any action
of execution of self, for without being willing to give it all up/give it all over, no human effort will be successful, neither will the Spirit be able to carry out what is against our own will/willingness/willfulness.
Connecting Matt. & Mk. passages with Rom.6 passages:
- We are dead to sin, & alive to God when the eye, foot, or hand is restrained from carrying out evil fleshly lustful desires, by having surrendered those desires, & put them to death on the Cross.
- our members/body parts become instruments of unrighteousness to sin, when we allow our desires/lusts to rule & reign, thereby opening a door “to be cast into hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched” (Mk.9:45). And therefore “It is better for you to enter life lame, rather than having two feet,” – it is better to not have had those experiences that were fantasized about/entertained in your mind. Rather than having tasted all of life’s fleshly romanticized offerings, how much better it will have been to have been “lame” (to have gone without) in those experiences, & spared oneself so much grief by the infinite variety of potential consequences!
- When instead of indulging our fleshly desires/lusts, we exercise self-control (fruit of the Spirit), cut off/put to death those fleshly lusts/desires, we can “present ourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and our members as instruments of righteousness to God” (Rom.6:13), and how much better is that in the end? What will it matter that we did not experience the momentary thrills that self-indulgence would have provided? Whether it is sacrificing hands, feet, or eyes and the lusts thereof, all are temporary, with no lasting benefit, but rather can even result in eternal damnation (Matt.5:30).
- We are essentially, symbolically of course, plucking out our eye, cutting off our hand or foot, when instead of giving in to temptation, we “bring our thoughts into captivity unto the obedience of Christ” (2 Cor.10:5), put those carnal desires to death at the Cross, & thereby “present ourselves as slaves of obedience leading to righteousness” (Rom.6:16), achieving a far better outcome than the alternative choice would provide, “For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it” (Lk.9:24).
MAY THE LORD BLESS YOU BY HIS HOLY SPIRIT’S LEADING, AND REVELATIONS THAT WILL OPEN NEW UNDERSTANDINGS WHICH WILL TAKE YOU DEEPER ENHANCING & DEEPENING YOUR INTIMACY WITH HIM.
© 2019 by Verna Crowther. All rights reserved.
CHECK OUT FOR ANYTHING YOU MAY HAVE MISSED.