MENTORING CORNER/STUDY GUIDE, GALATIANS 5:16-26, “WALKING IN THE SPIRIT,” 11.06.19
- CONNECT THE DOTS (v.16) from walking in the Spirit to not fulfilling the lusts of your flesh.
- The flesh and the Spirit are diametrically opposed. Elaborate on this statement on the basis of verse 17.
- How is it that “if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law” (v.18)? What does Paul mean by this? What does it involve? What are the implications this has for your life?
- Verses 19-21 itemize the ____________ of the __________. Review them now, & identify those which speak to your own weaknesses.
- Now this list is not comprehensive by any means. So feel free to include weaknesses/strongholds of yours which did not make the list; and be specific with generic categories such as “idolatry,” which of course takes on an infinite variety of forms.
- Why does Paul bother to stipulate (in the second half of v.21) that “those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God”? What does this imply? What is the significance of this for you?
- Identify from v. 22 & 23: (a) the fruit of the Spirit, & (b) the fruit of the Spirit which you can honestly say that you are walking in, manifesting, or displaying in some way on a fairly regular basis; © the fruit of the Spirit that you know that you most struggle to attain; (d) ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you what is getting in the way; (e) ask the Lord to show you what you need to do to have victory over this.
- “those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires” (v.24). So if we are Christ’s and we have in fact “crucified the flesh” how is it that we all still have these ongoing struggles? How do you understand this discrepancy? What can you do in order to bring this discrepancy into balance?
- “25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.” Notice the use of that all-important little word “IF.” CONNECT THE DOTS between this little word ‘if’ & “walking in the Spirit,” & you should arrive at the answer to #8 above. (i.e. there is a direct link/connection between living in the Spirit & crucifying the flesh).
- Do you see the cyclical nature & the inherent potentiality of this ideal outcome?
- 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. CONNECT THE DOTS between these two statements.
© 2019 by Verna Crowther. All rights reserved.
VISIT PRAYER CORNER @