Healing Through Deliverance Vol.1, 1991,1994, Peter Horrobin, Sovereign World, ELLEL MINISTRIES.ORG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3CnmKC3p7I&feature=youtu.be “The Truth Will Set You Free,” Peter Horrobin, Published on Jan 24, 2018
Continuing from Part 1, let us look at some other teachings from/by Horrobin, as well as examples from Scripture.
One of the areas Horrobin (“The Truth Will Set You Free,” Horrobin) addresses is the thought life; he says: “ungodly thinking leads to ungodly understanding.” Ungodly understanding will most undoubtedly lead to ungodly behaviour. Horrobin proceeds to tie in with John 8:31,32, the reality that many are so confused about because according to this passage we should all be free. But he points out that the context in which this statement was made included previous teachings, which had spelled out the necessity of keeping/following/doing all the things which He had taught. This is the component that seems so overlooked. “IF you hold to my teachings . . .. . “ involves more than just believing, but requires applying it. “A disciple is someone who does what the teacher says . . . . . . If you actually put Jesus’ Words into practice, then you will indeed become free . . .” (Horrobin, “The Truth Will Set You Free”); “there is a necessary part that we have to play. We have to do what Jesus told us to do; it’s in that choice to apply it that the TRUTH will set us free . . . “
The following passages where Yeshua dealt with demonic encounters, reveals important principles:
24 “When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, it passes through waterless places looking for rest. Not finding any, it says, ‘I will return to my house where I came from.’
25 And when it comes, it finds the house swept and put in order.
26 Then it goes and takes along seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they go in and settle there. And that man’s last condition becomes worse than the first.”
First of all, note that these spirits are often referred as unclean spirits, without necessarily being addressed with specific name which would seem to indicate that: (a) one does not necessarily need to know their specific name; and (b) when the name is not specifically known, they can be referred to as “unclean spirits.”
Secondly, without being directed as to where it should go, the unclean spirit appears rather aimlessly wandering into dry places, after which, without further direction, the default position appears to be to that of automatically returning to from whence it came.
Thirdly, if it discovers that no other occupants have replaced it (i.e., the “house is swept clean”), then that unclean spirit recruits seven others to join him to inhabit that space. Now it does not say this; however, my common sense would indicate to me that this spirit, not wanting to be evicted again, recruits the other seven demons because he knows there is power in numbers; and, having recruited ones even more evil than himself, it will be even more difficult for his gang to be evicted.
The last point I would make is that this individual now, although still nevertheless not demon-possessed, is under greater bondage, a higher degree of demonic control, thus the condition of the soul becoming still worse than what it was before.
The implications of “the house being swept clean,” and then being left empty are obviously many, and with severe consequences.
- If the “house (body/soul) is empty” it implies that nothing was done to safeguard against demonic return.
- The individual did nothing to improve their spiritual condition, to defend him/herself against a further onslaught of demonic infestation, rather kept living as before; therefore, the house is open . . . .
- If there is no change in lifestyle, no death to self, no complete surrender, no fresh infilling of the Holy Spirit to replace that empty cleaned out vessel, it becomes an open door – an invitation – for the return of, and even greater inhabitation of the demonic.
- For the individual to attain freedom, it will require a higher level of determination, and ongoing deliverance.
- There is only one answer: to be filled with the Holy Spirit in every place of the soul; to walk in a place of ongoing daily surrender – surrendering each and every breath, thought, word, step, action, interaction, relationship, and decision as it arises.
I like Horrobin’s summary on this: “. . . demons are legalists. They know their rights and will go wherever those rights have been legally granted. So what we have to look for is any way that after deliverance the demons can feel that they still have a legal right to return. There are two primary ways . . . .” (Horrobin, p.247, Vol.1, 1994). In summary: (a) the failure to make Yeshua Lord, which means being continually re-filled, (not only filled initially) with the Holy Spirit, and (b) allowing old weaknesses to resume, which lead to sin; and I would add, © getting caught up in previous dysfunctional patterns/cycles that are rooted in generational curses, which will reinstate those very curses that had been broken in order to achieve deliverance.
The following example of an encounter by Yeshua with the demonic illustrates many important study points:
27 A demon-plagued man from the town met Yeshua as He was coming out onto the land. The man hadn’t worn any clothing for a long time and was living not in a house but in the tombs.
28 Seeing Yeshua, he cried out and fell down before Yeshua, and with a loud voice said, “What’s between You and me, Yeshua, Ben El Elyon? I’m begging You, do not torment me!”
29 For Yeshua commanded the defiling spirit to come out of the man. For many times it had seized him so that, even though he was restrained and bound with chains and shackles, he would break the chains and be driven by the demons into the desert.
30 Yeshua questioned him, “What is your name?”
“Legion,” he said, for many demons had entered him.
31 They kept begging Him not to command them to depart into the abyss.
32 Now a large herd of pigs was feeding on the mountain. The demons urged Yeshua to let them enter these pigs, and He gave them permission.
33 Then the demons came out of the man and entered into the pigs. The herd rushed down the cliff into the lake and was drowned.
35 People went out to see what had happened. They came to Yeshua and found the man from whom the demons had gone—clothed and in his right mind, sitting at the feet of Yeshua. And they were frightened.
36 Now those who had seen it reported how the demon-plagued man had been restored.
37 And all the people from the region surrounding the Gerasenes asked Yeshua to go away from them because they were overcome by great fear. So He got into a boat and returned.
38 The man from whom the demons had gone out begged to go with Yeshua. But Yeshua sent him away, saying,
39 “Return to your home, and describe all that God has done for you.” So he went away, proclaiming throughout the whole town all that Yeshua had done for him.
There is much we can learn from this set of passages:
- A man living among tombs is obviously mentally ill. Since he is harassed by demons, we can discern that his mental illness is most likely demonically caused.
- Demons immediately recognize Yeshua’s presence, and know exactly Who He is (much more so than many people, unfortunately).
- Demons are tormented by Yeshua’s Presence, very fearful.
- Yeshua addressed them as “defiling spirits.”
- This man was likely demon-possessed, as even chains could not stop him from escaping. These were obviously very powerful demons.
- This case provides an isolated example in which Yeshua asks the demons to identify themselves. They informed Him that there were a multitude of them.
- The demons asked to go into the pigs, begging Yeshua not to send them into the abyss. Now I know many question why Yeshua would have so readily sent them into the pigs; but there is a very good answer. Yeshua, being Jewish, would have considered swine to be the lowest, filthiest creature on the hierarchy of animals; so why not?
- The man was delivered from mental illness, totally normal, and whole.
- People were fearful, just as they continue to be, when great works are accomplished supernaturally. There is nothing new under the sun. . . .
- Yeshua was not led to incorporate the man into His close-knit group, but instead ordered him to witness/testify of what great things had been done for him, how he’d been set free.
- Principle: We do not have jurisdiction over where they are to be sent. Yeshua did not send them to the abyss; thus, we have no mandate to do so. There was no singular location that demons were repeatedly assigned to. They characteristically seem to be left on their own to obtain another habitation.
Horrobin has this to say on the matter: “Jesus never sent any demons to the abyss, although they clearly recognised he had the power to do so. Nor did he assign them to the pit, outer darkness, the eternal flames or any of a multitude of other places that I have heard referred to by people in their enthusiasm to get demons out! . . . . important that we try and operate within the bounds of scriptural authority” (Horrobin, p.244, Vol.1, 1994).
This Study does not claim to be a final, comprehensive, exhaustive discourse on the topic; but it can serve as an entry point, to “enlighten the eyes of the understanding” (Eph.1:18) of each believer who would open their hearts and minds to Truth, and Freedom. The STUDY TOPIC provides useful themes, principles, and basic ingredients of knowledge forming a framework of understanding for how to approach demons and deliverance. I pray it will be helpful to many.
© 2018, revised 2019 by Verna Crowther. All rights reserved.
Get in Touch
Please contact me with any questions you may have
Copyright (c) 2017 by Verna Crowther. All rights reserved.