“WHAT ABOUT POLITICAL CORRECTNESS? PART 2,” 04.01.19
Tree of Life (TLV) Translation of the Bible. Copyright © 2015 by The Messianic Jewish Family Bible Society.
Yeshua/Jesus always told it like it was/is. He never tried to soften His message to please man, massaging it to assure Himself a greater following. He made no bones about the fact that following Him would be stressful, challenging, anything but an easy ride.
Moreover, He didn’t just walk around whispering softly in the tulips, talking about love, as depicted by Christian media. His messages packed a punch; in fact, He talked about Hell, (Matt. 25:41,46) a lot more than He did about heaven; and He said the road that leads to heaven “is narrow, and few there be that find it” (Matt.7:13,14) because the majority will choose the easy route, the wide road, the comfortable, politically correct path.
Yeshua/Jesus did/said many things that went against the status quo and were anything but politically correct: (THIS LIST IS IN NO WAY CLAIMING TO BE COMPREHENSIVE; BUT TO SERVE AS A SAMPLE)
- He healed on the Sabbath; and the Pharisees were quite offended.
- He said the only acceptable grounds for divorce are fornication/adultery (Matt.19:9). How many so-called Christians subscribe to that today? How many Pastors/leaders/teachers/shepherds teach or preach that today?
- He said “So the last will be first, and the first last” (Matt. 20:16). What?!! You mean a famous televangelist with a TV audience of millions, idolized by everyone, is not necessarily first?!! Someone who’s had dozens of best-selling books and DVD’s might not be as high on the scale as the old lady in the back row, silently interceding for others?!! According to His Word. . …
- He said we must be willing to forsake ALL, even family, to follow Him: “Let the dead bury their own dead. But you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God. No one who has put his hand to the plow and looked back is fit for the kingdom of God” (Lk.9:60-62). We must be willing to give up all to follow Him (Mk.8:34,35); “And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for My name’s sake, will receive a hundred times as much, and will inherit eternal life” (Matt.19:29).
- He cast out demons (Mk.1:39), and taught His disciples to do likewise, giving them authority in His Name. Many denominations today are not only uncomfortable with this idea, but even in denial of Satan’s existence. Quite unpopular, politically incorrect to speak of Satan.
- He called the Pharisees hypocrites, brood of vipers, blind guides, (Matt.23:13-33), and accused them of leading their people astray. That would be considered negative, judging – not politically correct in today’s christian circles.
- He said followers would be persecuted for His sake; that if people hated Him, they would most likely be hated also (Matt.10:22;24:10; John 15:18).
- He warned His followers that He would not be providing private jets or 5-star Hotels: “Foxes have dens and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head” (Lk.9:58). He even said, “Do not get gold or silver or copper for your money belts, or a bag for the journey, or two shirts, or sandals (Matt.10:9,10). What?? A mission/evangelical trip without an updated fashionable wardrobe, & shopping money??? That would never go over today!
- He commanded His followers to forgive (Matt.18:21,22), and to love their enemies (Matt.5:43-48).
- He talked about sin, Hell, repentance, conviction, most of which is not politically correct to preach, teach, or even mention today.
- He spoke of enduring tribulation/persecution, and being offended because of Him (Matt.13:21). What?! Most so-called Christians did not sign up for this; rather, they expect to be blessed, have a big house, new car, have a nice happy little life. This does not fit into the program. … .. .
- He told the Canaanite woman that “It’s not right to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs,” (Matt.15:26), when “she came and got down on her knees before Him, saying, “Master, help me!” (Matt.15:25) because her daughter was tormented by a demon, because He “was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel” (Matt.15:24). (In the end, He acknowledge her great faith, and administered healing to the daughter). But this would be viewed as being racist in today’s society, wouldn’t it?
- Jesus/Yeshua repeatedly commanded people who came to Him to REPENT; and repenting is not just confessing, and saying you’re sorry. Repenting means you turn away from your sins, leave them behind, cut them off, nail the sinful fleshly lusts to the Cross. I could come up with at least a dozen passages on repentance, but this is not our sole focus here. Certainly it is an issue for modern christianity.
- Jesus/Yeshua said that if one had lust in the heart it was equal to committing the sinful act itself (Matt.5:27,28); this scarcely lines up with today’s politically correct license to engage in fornication and lustful behaviours, let alone take responsibility for lustful thoughts and desires. If Jesus/Yeshua said these things in most of today’s churches He would get ostracized.
Today’s universalists/globalists/apostates/new age-infiltrated lukewarmers have a need to put a positive spin on everything, and thereby unanimously take it on themselves to alter God’s Word, teaching/believing that a loving, merciful God will just pour His Grace over everything and everyone, and all will end up in heaven. But Yeshua Messiah’s focus was not on being positive; it was about “speaking the truth, in love” (Eph.4:15).
While it is certainly true that He will forgive and accept anyone who comes to Him with a humble heart, believing and repenting of their sins, the reality is that there is a “Hell;” and unless one believes in, accepts Him as Lord, confessing and repenting, turning from their sinful lifestyles, they cannot be part of the Kingdom of Heaven. The second reality is that, upon signing up as His follower, one is agreeing to live life according to HIS terms. It is NOT the case that one can continue in sin because He sees you as “righteous.” He sees you as “righteous,” because He gave you His righteousness by the power of His Holy Spirit so that you became equipped to walk in His righteousness. Once you’re signed up, there are expectations. Once you agree that you belong to HIM, then you must behave accordingly. He said: “go and sin no more” (John 8:11). He said: “If anyone will follow me, he must take up his cross daily, and deny self, and follow Me” (Lk.9:23); He did not say, “Oh, I gave you My righteousness, so don’t worry about it; you don’t have to do anything in particular. … just keep walking in sin and I’ll take care of everything . . “ He did not say that at any point; so let’s get things straight. Once we make a commitment; once we say, “I surrender,” we are to walk in accordance with that. Walk as though He really IS your Lord.
Today’s church prefers nice, sweet, short, positive little messages (preferably stories – fluffy little fairy tales – that have no depth, no bothersome Scriptures attached to them) that will make them feel good. Most of the things Yeshua/Jesus taught and spoke about would be on today’s taboo list and entirely “politically incorrect”. If Jesus/Yeshua walked into most churches or Synagogues today and preached as He did, He would surely be evicted.
© 2016, 2017, 2019 by Verna Crowther. All rights reserved.
PLEASE VISIT: MENTORING CORNER for complete STUDY GUIDE on today’s topic.
PRAYER CORNER for PRAYER GUIDE on TOPIC.